Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: How to remove permanent marker?

  1. #1
    GreyMyst
    Guest GreyMyst's Avatar

    Post

    Nothing but oxy works. For permenent marker you have to leave it on for up to 6 MONTHS or more. Goof off messes up the vinyl and stinks and still doesn't work. Acetone doesn't work (yes I have tried) and messes up the vinyl.

    I used Oxy10 on an AG and a few barbies to take off sharpie, and both took several months but it eventually came off.

    Leaving the oxy on there in storage works too. I had given up on one doll, but didn't even bother to take off the oxy, when I pulled her out of the goodwill donation box in the garage about 3 months later the marks were totally gone.

    Sharpie takes TIME to get out. ALOT of time.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member spongelover1212's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2005
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmph. I don't have 6 extra months. [img]graemlins/whatever.gif[/img]

    How do you know nothing else works, Greymist?
    Have you tried glass cleaner?
    Have you tried miracle doll cleaner?
    Have you tried mr. clean magic easer?


    If anyone else has any suggestions, let me know! [img]wink.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member robin0850's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2005
    Posts
    1,270
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Look at it this way, dear--if you use Oxy10, in 6 months (or maybe less) the marker will be gone. If you try other things that don't work, in 6 months the marker will still be there.

    On this board, many people have tried many things, and the advice you find here is an accumulation of collective wisdom--you're getting the benefit of lots of experience. If it's not what you want to hear (like a FAST method of removing permanent ink), please don't be angry at the messenger--we're the ones trying to help you. [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

    (A suggestion--if you want this marker removed quickly so you can sell a fixer-upper in order to raise money, you might consider selling her "as is" and letting the buyer remove the ink. You won't get as much $$ for her, but you will get it faster, and not have the bother of removing it yourself.) [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member spongelover1212's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2005
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Actually, I need it for my little sister's bitty baby.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member lscogbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    713
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Did little sister mark on her own Bitty? I would let HER clean the doll with Oxy over a 6-month period. Then, rest assured, she won't be tatooing any more dolls. (And my lovely DD will attest to the effectiveness, which is why she no longer colors on anything other than paper, especially brand-new white armoires [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

  6. #6
    LordofthePumpkinPatch
    Guest LordofthePumpkinPatch's Avatar

    Post

    Acetone messes up the vinyl? Non acetone nail polish, acetone nail polish, or straigt acetone? Please let me know which was the problem, because I might have messed up a doll sometime... [img]eek.gif[/img] I use NA nail polish on my remakes of My Scenes, LDD's and on MAC dolls without any problem.
    Sorry, but you put the fear in me a little....

  7. #7
    Inactive Member spongelover1212's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2005
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have heard that acetone discolors the vinyl.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member robin0850's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2005
    Posts
    1,270
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    NON-acetone nail polish remover is OK to use on vinyl--usually one is removing nail polish from some poor abused doll.

    NEVER, EVER use acetone nail polish remover, which WILL mess up the vinyl, and ruin it, necessitating a replacement at the AG Hospital, which is what we're usually trying to avoid by maintaining our own dolls. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    LordofthePumpkinPatch
    Guest LordofthePumpkinPatch's Avatar

    Post

    Okay, thanks. I am SOOO glad that this subject came up... I mean who knows what can happen. shudder

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Ds9jullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2005
    Posts
    286
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Okay -- I have never tried this on a doll because I have never needed too. Dry Erase Markers will remove perment marker when it is used on a surface that dry erase will wipe off of such as white boards and vynal sheeting. The solvent used in dry erase markers is the same as used in perment markers.

    Once again I have never done this on a doll, plastic routing totes all the time.

    Ashley

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ December 22, 2005 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Ds9jullian ]</font>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •